Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Paradise lost

Whenever I move around the city now-a-days, it is the same feeling, what has transpired in this once beautiful city. This may strictly sound like something for Bangalore fans, but it isn't. Though it might seem like I am dwelling in the past, like all Sachin fans, it is more of an obituary to the once peaceful city.
Yes people, the city is dead. It was once the proud Air conditioned city, it still is, cause you can't survive without one now. The morning mist and fog was a sight. I always keep telling people, you couldn't spot the morning newspaper on the perch till you were two feet from it. The fog used to be soooooooo good. Bangalore's rain was something which one would relish. You could play in it and never worry about catching a ccold. The weather was pristine and untouched by the sulphur di oxide and carbonmonoxide billowing monsters.
As a child, I remember walking to school, which was a good five kilometers from home. The park on the way, the huge empty ground (which is currently occupied by an apartment complex and a shopping complex housing a multiplex, on hosur road), the silent eerie graveyard (it is now almost unnoticed in the midst of a concrete jungle), and scores of other things which made me walk inspite of a good and not so crowded public transport available those days.
Tell me I am an oldtimer, I dont care. I am 28, but I know when I write this I sound 82. All you people who are new to this place should have been here 10 years ago.
How I miss it, ten years ago, the M.G's, the brigade's, chit o chat, cubbon park, lalbagh, drive in theater, jayanagar shopping complex, ulsoor lake, sankey tank, M.T.R, B.T.S, bicycles, the roads which looked wide, the people who were so calm, no hurries, no hustle-bustle, no angry honking at signals, no swearing at one other(nor in traffic, nor in queues), peaceful smiling faces, give me back my bangalore, give us back our BANGALORE, GIVE US BACK OUR BANGALORE, GGIIVVEE UUSS BBAACCK...........

1 comment:

  1. Doc, didnt know that u are here... would like to add you in "the blogs I am following list" ...

    ReplyDelete