Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Salute to Soldiers.

I was there lying prone on the ground with a pine tree as cover trying to locate the enemy. I aimed at something that looked like a man and shot. The ammo flew from my gun at the target. One down, good! I rolled again into the cover waiting for the bullets that were coming my way to go past or hit the tree. A 2 second break and I rolled back to shoot again. I was thinking I was good at this, but obviously, someone had seen my moves. Suddenly I could hear a couple of them swoosh past my ears. I suddenly felt a rush of warmth in my head. The thermals, thich T-shirt and jeans, long jacket made for the snow and the camo on top of it; there was a strange feeling of cold and heat. The outside temperature was -6 degrees. I was cold below the knees and in the goggles and the cap, I was sweating. The fog from my breath covered my goggles limiting my visibility. I was in a state of confusion and fear. Not realizing what was happening. Then again, one hit the fallen branch right next to where I was. I rolled into cover. My heart was pounding and a sense of dejavu told me something's not right.

My 2 seconds of silence and I rolled back into shooting position again. Before I could realize or press the trigger, BANG! Right between the eyes. Good I had a pair of goggles to prevent any damage. The paintball exploded on the goggle fibre and thats it; I was out of the game. I got up, put the rubber cap back on the nozzle and with the gun held high, walked away from the battle field.

Sitting in the sidelines in the cover of the net, I thought. What if this was a real battle? What if I was a real soldier on the border? I would be dead by now. For the 8 of us who went to Poconos (in Pennsylvania, USA) and the 60 odd people who were there, it was a game. But imagine what our soldiers go through every single day. Here there are rules. There is a time limit. There is a set target to achieve. But out there, in the battle front, there are no rules. I relived the entire moment. Yes, I was scared. But, I was damn sure that I would not die. But still my instinct tld me to fight and not get hit. But imagine a real battle. One mistake and you are gone. Our soldiers out in the borders Play with death every single day. Imagine knowing that there is no second chance. Imagine a hit between the eyes with a real bullet.

Silently I saluted the brave soldiers who fight not just the enemy but the vagaries of nature and sacrifice their lives for us to stay safe. I felt a sense of gratitude towards them and before I could live in the moment, the next field was ready. I picked up the heavy gun and walked into the playground.

No comments:

Post a Comment